Little back story here: I did two semesters of college during which I moved out and got engaged, came up with a business idea, quit school and ran with my idea. As far as education after high school goes, I have nothing against it – I just felt like it was useless because I already knew exactly what I wanted to do and could begin doing it without any schooling so, I did. I lived it out in the form of Rise and now, 1.5 years later, here’s where I’m at:
- I quickly got wrapped up in my “company”. It became about Rise and less about my clients – I was obsessed with the image but wasn’t 100% confident in it. What I know now: You can build your brand without an LLC or forming a corporation. I feel like this works well in some cases but in my case, I could have saved a lot of money and energy until that was a necessity, I lost a lot of the heart of what I wanted to do in a silly name.
- Owning a business becomes dark quickly if you don’t invite the Lord into that space. What I know now: seeking Jesus and having the Spirit present in my decisions and conversations is a GAME CHANGER.
- Learning is for everyone. I say that I don’t have anything against continuing education after high school but I kind of really did – I thought that it was something many could do without, and it is but it was quite the humbling experience to end up back in college ;). What I know now: to be effective and successful, I have to take the time to really learn so I can serve the businesses I represent well.
So, how do those “now I know” moments change how I am doing things?
- I’m going to brand my name rather than a company because truth of it is, I am not a company yet. Rise will be no more, it’s just me and I’m great with that. So, I’ll soon be launching a new website with a new brand and doing away with Rise.
- I have a couple of different projects from now until the end of the year that are keeping me busy and I am so much more confident working for myself and not feeling like I work for this company that I hate.
- I’m going back to school…WHAT. I sincerely never thought I’d say that, but I am and I’m actually excited about it. I’m taking three classes per semester as life allows until I’m done. I’ll continue working my full-time job and freelancing while I’m going to school.
- I’m soaking up every bit of learning in this season I’m in. I am loving the simplicity of where I am.
Justin and I have a couple of other dreams for the remainder of the year that I’m not quite at liberty to discuss yet 😉 but I cannot wait to share those dreams and to see it come to life.
This bit of advice from a recent RELEVANT Magazine article has stuck with me:
Commit your dreams to the Lord (Psalm 37:5)
Ask Him where to start
Dream BIG & bright
Choose joy where you are right now
My prayer in addition to those listed above is for the Lord to “restore my undivided attention to Him” in every single part of my life and it will continue to be my prayer because it led me to this peaceful decision. Though it’s been proven my whole life, I somehow keep forgetting that I can do nothing apart from Him. I mostly share all of this to be held accountable in my mission to serve my community. So, would you do that for me? Do you have any advice for me in where I’m at in this fantastic season of learning?